Let junIOR YEAR BEGIN
In Bradley his Book 1896. ATF advertising #letterpress #foundry #typography
For all you gluten lovers out there #lettering #brushpen #brushscript #brushlettering #script #calligraphy
Marginalia Monday, with Manicules!
Annotations are not uncommon in our collections, but the reader of this copy of a 1541 tract by Martin Luther is less restrained than many. The pamphlet has large, flowing annotations throughout and numerous pointing hands, or manicules. (Our student assistants have dubbed these markings “finger guns.”)
A modern reader might assume that the ‘no’s suggest disagreement with the text, but they are likely manuscript abbreviations for “nota.”
Notice also the unfortunate, later trimming of the text block, obscuring some of the marginalia.
Creating cover for bestiary!
I try hard to make something daily. This is post number 70 :) #makedaily #calligraphy #pilotparallelpen #parallelpen #alphabet
Conrad of Megenberg, ‘Buch der Natur’, Germany ca. 1434.
Strasbourg, Bibliothèque nationale et universitaire, Ms.2.264, fol. 85r
- aries: can write hella cute poems
- taurus: amazing at putting together ikea furniture
- gemini: best mac and cheese maker around
- cancer: can decorate cakes really good
- leo: photoshop expert
- virgo: can memorize song lyrics in a flash
- libra: great at finding four leaf clovers
- scorpio: super good with makeup
- sagittarius: can take really pretty photos
- capricorn: expert tree climber
- aquarius: awesome at giving speeches
- pisces: can beat any and every video game
Random Letters #calligraphy
"i’m not white i’m greek"
More fun facts about ancient Celtic marriage laws: There were no laws against interclass or interracial marriage, no laws against open homosexual relationships (although they weren’t considered ‘marriages’ since the definition of a marriage was ‘couple with child’), no requirement for women to take their husband’s names or give up their property, but comedians couldn’t get married
It’s Adam and Eve not Adam Sandler and Eve